4.12.2009

Pt. 2 God is in a computer chip

***For all you google readers, I accidently published the last one before I was done.***


As a major part of my life, and especially as of recent, Doubt is something I've thought a lot about. For what it's worth, here is the role it plays in my life. This is what doubt is to me, not necessarily everyone, and it speaks in regards to my relationship with God.

When my preconceived idea of God is expanded so much beyond what I've contrived, Doubt is what feels in the Gaps.

Now I think we can all agree that God is much bigger than we think.

But I think their is specific moments in life where its far more than just "Knowing" this truth, but actually (for lack of better words) feeling it in our spirit. It's as if our spiritual eyes are opened, not to the entirety of God, but to the entirety that we're wrong about God.

And this expansion of awareness is not a confirmation of what we thought we knew, but in this light, we not only see how little we know, but we see the vast amount we don't know about God and it causes us to question what little we thought we did know about God.

And Doubt Pours In. Doubt becomes a sealant between all things.

When you ask an objective question, an answer will only give you more objective questions and thus begins a spiderweb. In regards to truth Einstein wrote,

"At any given moment out of all conceivable constructions, a single one has always proved itself absolutely superior to the rest."

At any given moment.


Could objective truth be a function of time? Could the truth I hold just be temporarily truer than anything else I happen to know at the time?

The more you ask, the further you get from the truth.

The more you look, the more you see and the more questions you have.

When you try to objectively know God, the bigger he becomes and the less you know him.

Because our relationship with God is not objective.

I believe in absolute truth, but I think the problem I have is wanting to know absolute truth.

So what happens is we try to know absolute truth for what it is, but we only get more questions which takes us further from the truth. Then when we have created a sprawling void between us and this truth, the only thing that can fill it is doubt.

God wants us to believe, not to know.

We're to have Faith. We're to believe. Whenever I have tried to replace faith with knowledge, I have been humbled.

I'm by NO means saying that we shouldn't seek God or to learn or to ask questions or anything like that.

I just don't believe we should approach God in an objective way, as if he is a text book to learn.

Unfortunately, that is what I do, and then I almost die with doubt and then I write long blog posts. So don't do that. Any of it.

Just have faith, because faith is easy, right? :-)

PEACE.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

i like this post. it's making me think about this whole truth/doubt thing from a completely different angle. i read somewhere in reference to trying to understand the mystery of God that it's not that we can't understand, it's that there's too much to understand. kind of like you said the more you try to know God, the bigger he becomes and the less you know. i like it!

lauren h. said...

This was really good for me to read right now. Also, I read this quote today and thought of this post: "God's presence and activity are beyond our ability to comprehend. We can accept them with faith. We can be deeply thankful for them. But there is now way we can grasp them, describe them and explain them. The closer we are to God, the less we know about God." -Macarius

And also, for your post above:
http://luluwearsatutu.blogspot.com/2008/11/skin-and-bones.html

:-)