7.26.2009

Laken. Middlebury. Green Mountain Coffee.

Laken. My new water bottle.

So I'm just coming off of a week long trip that involved 10 states. I've got to see a ton of new places. It was fantastic. 47/50 states complete.

Got to see a member of the Psalters in Fishtown, a neighborhood in Philadelphia.

Of course I didn't talk to him.

Tons I want to write about right now.

Since my visit to Taize, France, I feel like a whole new world has been opened to me in the faith of Roman Catholicism. As a long time Christian, I would like to think that there aren't major things in the faith that I'm completely ignorant about.

But as I continue to learn, I learn how completely ignorant I am on anything and everything Catholic. It's been an incredibly stretching and growing experience, as well as fascinating. I'm reading a big thick book that I stole, that reads like a history/theological text book on the subject, and I'm loving it.

Another thing that has been helpful in this journey is an Episcopal Priest who would rather be catholic. You might remember him from this post (the other day, I heard him leading a church bible study where he referred to the Pharisees as "Assholes" and "Sonuva Bitch"). Conversations with him are always very interesting. And very surprising.

Anyway, the point in all this is that, I think all protestants need to ask questions and figure out for themselves why they're not Roman Catholic. I'm left wondering where option 3 is.

Books I'm Reading and am actually going to finish:

The Riddle Of Roman Catholicism
By Jaroslav Pelikan
Traveling Mercies By Anne Lamott
The Screwtape Letters By C.S. Lewis
No Man Is An Island By Thomas Merton
Aesops Fables By Not Aesop because he is a made up person.

1 comments:

Auntie Amanda said...

found your blog from lucy's. you're from the same town as my friend julie, which i had the privilege of visiting last weekend for her wedding... lovely!
enjoyed this post. i was raised Catholic, and while I usually reply "Christian" when asked what religion I am, I still maintain close ties to Catholicism for several reasons. And also tend to play informant to many who don't understand how that could work.
Kudos for your curiousity.